Sunday, November 17, 2013

20-Minute DIY: Happy Fall Pumpkin

Hey everyone! Sorry for the lack of posts recently, I've been super busy with work and getting my daughter ready to start preschool! (She is sooo excited about it, her first day was actually last week)

As you may or may not know, we live in an apartment, so we are sort of limited as to what we can do to spruce up our outdoor space (I think my landlord would pitch a fit if I painted my front door or something like that). But nevertheless, I do like to do a little something to make the outside of my house look as cheerful as the inside. And this particular project happens to be easy, fast, cheap, and adorable!

 Happy Fall Pumpkin!

What you need:
  • A Pumpkin (you could do several in different sizes and with different messages/pictures-the possibilities are endless!)
  • Paint or a Paint Marker (I used a paint marker for more precision, if you have a steady hand, traditional acrylic paints and paintbrush would work great)
  • Ribbon/Bow of some kind. (I made my bow using this tutorial - you just have to play with the dimensions until you get the right size)
  • A design of some kind (I used a stencil for the leaves and free-handed the lettering, but you can do what ever you feel comfortable with)
Here's my plain ol' pumpkin in the beginning

Step 1: Wash your pumpkin (sometimes they come with dirt and grime on them from the pumpkin patch), and decide which side you want your design to appear on (mine had some nicks in it, so I chose to make the better-looking side the front).

Step 2: Transfer your design to the pumpkin in pencil first, in case you make a mistake. Then, start to go over the pencil with your paint/paint marker.

Here it is with the lettering. Doesn't it look like it needs something extra?

Step 3: Fill out the design with some embellishments.

Leaves and a little swirl add just the right touch!

Step 4: Add your bow/ribbon/other decoration.

Top view. Gotta have a little sparkle! 
(Yes, my bow is attached with a hair elastic, don't judge)

Step 5: Place outside your front door and admire your handiwork!

Can you believe those leaves? That's just from the last 24 hours. It's impossible to keep up with it.

This pumpkin should last a few weeks, and is a great way to transition from Halloween into Thanksgiving. (Really, if I could get away with it, I would decorate with pumpkins year-round, but that's just me.)

If you try this project, be sure to post your pics in the comments!

Until next time,

Linking up to:
Its Hump Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment